Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Move over, Bill Dance!

Our boys have a new favorite pasttime - FISHING! We had the opportunity to fish a few times during our recent vacation and they just had a blast.

I suppose my boys get their love of fishing honest. I always loved fishing as a kid. I spent nearly every day of summer vacation with a line in the pond behind our house. Of course that was back when we didn't have Wii, Game Boy, Playstation, Game Cube, etc. We had to make our own fun and entertain ourselves.

My dad always loved fishing too, and he gave our boys poles and tackle boxes for Christmas a couple of years ago. It really tickled him to be able to shop for a gift he knew something about.

The boys fished in Indiana at my brother's house. Uncle T lives in a great neighborhood with a pond/lake in the middle and all the residents are welcome to fish. Can you tell these boys were thrilled with their catches?

A few days later we tried fishing in a lake in Tennessee, but didn't have any luck. These fish evidently didn't like our bait. The fishing excursion was cut short due to lack of interest. The boys don't like it when the fish ain't bitin'.

Thankfully the boys had another successful fishing experience at my husband's sister's place in the western part of Virginia. She and her family live on a 17-acre plot of land in the country and they have a pond with a cool dock that floats out to the middle, as well as a canoe. We all caught fish that day! In fact, our oldest caught over 20 fish in one outing, which was some kind of record for this pond.



What's really awesome is that both boys can cast their own poles and rarely need help with freeing the fish once they've reeled one in. I told the boys they could be regulars on the Bill Dance TV show and they just gave me a blank stare. What? They don't know who Bill Dance is? I thought everybody knew who Bill Dance was. Isn't he a professional fisherman, a regular fishing guru, a living legend in his sports field? What? You don't know who Bill Dance is either? Well, google his name and see what you find. Go ahead, you know you want to be sure I'm not making this stuff up.
I'm glad the boys have discovered their love of fishing. It's nice to know they can enjoy the great outdoors and get away from the electronic craze every once in a while.

1 comment:

kristi said...

I always fished as a kid too. I used a cane pole and the fish loved me!! I always caught the most!