Monday, July 14, 2008

Tidbits from an American Vacation

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I've been MIA for a couple of weeks due to our vacation, but I'm back and ready to share a few travel tidbits with you. We had a blast visiting with family and friends and we saw some beautiful sights along the way, some of which I'll eventually share. I just had to tell you about a few highlights first.

We bought our first GPS ("Ooooh....Aaaah...") and tried it out on our trip. We believe "Betsy" is a keeper as she really helped us out a time or two when our directions were a bit iffy, but she had quite an attitude when her directions weren't followed to the letter. Whenever we deviated from her instructions, she'd say, "Recalculating" in this kind of huffy, aggravated voice. It was almost like she really wanted to say, "HELLO! You're going the WRONG way, idiot!"

We saw this awesome road sign that I so wish I'd been able to get a picture of, but the camera was in the back and we couldn't stop. We were on a state road, getting ready to turn onto a highway, and the sign listed several things that were prohibited, one of which was "animals on foot." Hmmm... Do you think animals are aware of this?

I did get a couple of pictures of the following sign at the putt-putt golf establishment near the place we stayed in Tennessee. In the first picture you'll see the rules listed, and in the second picture, I've zoomed in on a misspelled word. Ironically, the word "penalty" is used more than once on the sign, but it was only misspelled once. I can't help it, but I have a real aversion to misspelled words on signs that supposedly are going to be read by large volumes of people. Obviously no one caught this mistake...

We also drove past a cemetery in a rather rural area, and there was a casket sitting out in the middle, right next to what appeared to be the final resting place for whoever was inside, however, not a living soul was around. I don't know if the person in charge had gone for a smoke or out to lunch, but here was this casket, seemingly abandoned in the middle of the cemetery.

We drove past this interesting little gift shop in the middle of nowhere. In case you're unable to make out the sign, it says "Bike Monies... Crafts Gifts and Biker Stuff." The shop was closed or else we might have gone in, just because.
Yep, traveling is never a dull moment for our family, and I'm only sharing the mild stuff with you. There were a few interesting characters we saw along the way too. We're magnets for weirdos. I've always wondered what that says about us. Hmmm... Anyway, laundry awaits, and since that's my absolute FAVORITE part about returning from a trip, I'd better get to it.

No comments: