Monday, January 5, 2009

Show me the money!

We carry two sets of currency on us at all times, American and European. We use our American currency here on base, and the European currency off base. It's not difficult to tell the difference between the two types of paper money because they are very different. The first time I saw euro bills, I thought they looked like Monopoly money. What do you think? Am I right? They don't look real to me! I guess that's because I've been accustomed to looking at these all my life... I have a divided area in my wallet where I can stash each type of bill, so I know dollars are on one side and euros are on the other. No problem!

It's a little more difficult to distinguish American coins from euro coins, and it's not that they necessarily look that much alike...

This...

versus this...
See, the thing is, I only have one section in my wallet for coins, and once the two different types of coins are mixed, it takes too long to pick out the right ones at the right time. So for a while I was carrying this to hold my euro coins... Yeah, that's right... it's a Ziploc baggie! I couldn't fine a coin purse I really liked and until I did, I was content to use a baggie. I quickly became a target of ridicule within my circle of so-called friends. Can you believe that? All because I carried my coins in a baggie!

Well, I'm here to tell you that, thanks to my husband and kids, I'm no longer the laughingstock of the neighborhood, now that I'm sporting my new Dooney & Bourke coin purse I received for Christmas. That's right... now I'm stylin' with this in my purse... Thanks, guys, for saving my reputation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the ziplock is so YOU!

Marva said...

Gee, thanks! Just when you try to better yourself, someone tries to drag you back down.