Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Valentine Treats

As discussed in a previous post, Valentine's Day is quickly approaching, and I'm making preparations. While I still don't know what I'm giving my hubby (besides the Smilebox slideshow I shared with you), I do know which valentines my kids are giving their classmates. I also have some ideas for treats to give to friends and neighbors. Hey, I know Valentine's Day is still more than two weeks away, but when you live in Spain and your options are slim, you have to plan ahead! Thanks to Current Catalog, I'm on my way to being ready for the upcoming holiday.

Interested in seeing what I'm working on? I'll show you...


These are the valentines my boys will be giving to their friends at school. Have you ever noticed that there are seemingly lots of cute valentines that are "girly" in nature, but not as many that appeal to boys? It's always a challenge to find appropriate valentines the boys actually like. The guitar valentines work very well for them this year since they're so obsessed with Guitar Hero. The kit includes an adhesive foam dot that "closes" the guitar, leaving a space to slide a mini Hershey bar. The only thing I would recommend, however, is using a small piece of double-sided tape to adhere the candy bar to the inside of the guitar, otherwise it tends to fall out, and you want these suckers to make it to school intact, right?

Here are some of the other really cute, unique valentines I found online at www.currentcatalog.com....


Aren't these adorable? I would give these to girlfriends, but my boys wouldn't be caught dead giving these to ANYBODY!


These puzzle cards are pretty cute too. The front is a heart design, and on the back the sender writes a message on them, then separates the pieces and puts them in the envelope. The recipient has to put together the puzzle to determine the message inside. These could easily be made at home, don't you think? But at the low, low price of 12 for $3.99, and the fact that I wouldn't have to do this myself, it seems like quite a bargain.


These are fortune teller valentines. Remember making these as a kid? No? Okay, I guess I'm ancient because I certainly remember making them. Anyway... they're cute, but once again, they're fairly "girly."


Of course if you're feeling generous, you can give regular-sized Hershey bars and cover them in these cute valentine wrappers. There are a couple of wrapper designs from which to choose. By the way, I like the dark chocolate Hershey bars, in case you're wondering.


I actually bought these to give friends. Yes, I occasionally give out valentines. What's wrong with that? Is there an age limit on valentine giving? I think not. I've already started putting these babies together.

The kit includes 12 gift tags
and 90 mini candy bar wrappers, which are stickers, therefore they easily adhere to the candy bars.

Naturally I had to purchase the candy bars (Thankfully they're easily found here!) and use my own baggies (I had some on hand, but they can be found at places like Wal-Mart or AC Moore) and ribbon.

As you can see, there are five wrapper designs.

No worries... I'll show you close-ups of each.











Here are the various ribbons choices I had on hand. I have no idea where one would go to purchase ribbon in Spain, but then I haven't needed any, therefore I haven't looked around. Of course there's ALWAYS my favorite method of purchasing most anything... the internet!


Here's my finished product. You can choose to add more candy, but I decided to divide the 90 wrappers by the 12 gift tags, giving me 7 pieces per bag with 6 pieces left over for me to devour. You didn't really think I was going to buy all that candy and give every single piece away, did you? Get real! You obviously don't know me very well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marva,

I just love all of your adorable ideas for Valentine's Day. You are really creative.

Can I invite you to enter one or more of your ideas in my Valentine Ideas Contest?

I know my visitors would love to see some of your clever ideas, and you may even end up as one of the winners of the prizes.

I hope you and your friends will come along and join us.

Either way, I sure do love your blog!

Blessings,
Angie

Marva said...

Angie,

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the compliment. I'm not sure that I'd qualify for the Valentine Ideas Contest as none of these ideas are actually mine... I'm simply using what's available to me on the internet and honestly can't take credit for anything. :)Please visit again sometime.

Thanks,
Marva

Ellen said...

Hey Marva,
I hope this isn't a dulicate response as I wrote one just moments ago and it seems to have disapperared. Oh Well! Your little guy M. and my Joshua attended preschool together here in Dover. Ms. Sandy gave me your blog address and I've been reading ever since. Your witty and I just love seeing the great pics you take. Wishing you and yours well. Love the Valentine ideas!
Ellen

Marva said...

Ellen, I remember you and Joshua! It's great hearing from you, and I appreciate the kind words. By the way, I received your initial comment, but my blog is set up so that I have to approve comments before they're posted, and I just hadn't gotten around to checking comments before your follow-up message came in. Hope you'll visit (and comment) again.

Anonymous said...

Marva,
I just came across the guitar valentine's online this morning but they are sold out at Current. If you still have the box they came in, could you please send me the info about the manufacturer so I might be able to locate another store that is selling them? Thanks, Sherrie in Saint Louis

Marva said...

Sherrie,

The sheets the guitars come on reads, "Code 087109 Current" and it lists the website for Current. No further information is given. Sorry... I don't think that will help.

Thanks for checkin' in! Happy Valentine's Day!

Marva

Anonymous said...

Thanks anyway....I guess it's not meant to be! Sherrie