Monday, July 6, 2009

4th Festivities

The 4th of July has come and gone and our flag is now put away for safe keeping until next year. That makes me a little sad, but I remain grateful for the opportunity to show my patriotism for the last few days. Here are some photos taken during the last few days...

We enjoyed seeing so many red, white & blue decorations in the tents and booths.


The Air Force squadron manned a food booth selling BBQ sandwiches, hotdogs and Frito chili pies. Of course we bought our dinner from them. I have such fond memories of making and selling Frito chili pies with the squadron spouses' group in Dover, DE. I couldn't pass up a pie! They weren't prepared quite the same as ours, but they were still good and brought about some nostalgic memories.


M and I attended the base Independence Day celebration. Here M sits and watches the Andalucian horse show.


The horse, with the aid of his rider, and the woman perform a dance together.

Here's a short video clip of the performance...




This is the other horse and rider we watched. M got a little antsy during this show, so we departed the bleachers and headed to a more exciting area...

... the Land of Bounce!

Here's M enjoying the obstacle course. He's the one wearing the red hat...



This was a rather funny and unique way to raise money. People paid to have other people "jailed" for a certain period of time, and I guess the items listed on the sign were available to "detainees" for a price.


A neighbor of mine gets hauled to jail.


The two jailbirds on the right are neighbors of ours. I kept a low profile and managed to steer clear of jail.

We stayed for the fireworks display, but I didn't take any photos. I always find that photos taken of fireworks don't turn out well, not my photos anyway. I just relaxed and watched the fireworks with M and our friends.

The following photos capture my efforts in displaying a little patriotism at home...

I was really psyched to be able to fly the American flag at the house. My hubby was thoughtful enough to locate the flag and prepare it to be flown, although he was unfortunately unable to be here to see it.


I was thrilled that the "God Bless America" door topper could be used on our patio door. The patriotic scarecrow wreath was actually given to us as a wedding gift nearly 14 years ago. It definitely holds sentimental value for me.


We placed small American flags in our Spanish tile window boxes too.

The 4th festivities were full of fun and memorable moments for my son and me. I only wish the other half of our family had been here to share it with us. I hope your Independence Day was spent enjoying family and friends, making some wonderful memories and giving thanks and honor to those who so long ago fought and sacrificed in the name of freedom.

No comments: