Friday, July 10, 2009

Boy goes to camp...

... and comes home with stinky laundry. Man, I never knew a kid could get his socks so filthy! Now that I think about it, why I bothered to even try to wash them is beyond me. They'll simply never be clean again. And seemingly every shirt he took with him now has a permanent stain right smack in the middle. Yep, friends, there's a whole new kinda funk that goes along with boys coming home from Boy Scout camp, and it permeated my house last weekend.

Besides the fragrant smells emanating from D's duffle bag, I'll add that he came back a very happy camper, having had a great time in England. Yes, I said England! Can you stand it? That's definitely a perk associated with living overseas... you get to go on cool trips with your Scout Troop.

I'll have to say it was a strange feeling, saying goodbye to my 12-year-old, knowing he'd be getting on a plane headed for another country, where he'd spend the next week. My prayer was that he would be safe, happy, healthy and somehow manage not to lose his passport or I.D. cards (military and Spanish).

M was probably the happiest to see D when he returned, for although he would never admit it, he was a little lost without his big brother around. Turns out my hubby had a trip scheduled right in the middle of the week, so it was just M and me for about three days. Let's just say my Wii playing skills are lacking, therefore D's return was reason for M to celebrate.

I think the big guy grew an inch or so while he was gone. He just looked way too grown up for me upon his return. I was so happy D had this phenomenal opportunity and feel so proud that he made the decision to go, had a good time and came back having advanced to another level in Scouts. My boy is growing up!

Oh, and great news... he came home with his passport and I.D. cards. WHEW!

No comments: