Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Parent/Teacher Conferences

Yesterday I went to parent/teacher conferences and spoke with both of my sons' teachers. These meetings always seem to make me nervous and I don't know why. The boys are good students, they're well-behaved and things always go just fine. I somehow end up feeling intimidated and want to just run from the room. Is it because I'm afraid something negative is going to be said and I'm going to be disappointed or hurt? I'm very sensitive when it comes to my children. I suppose most mothers are though. I end up talking incessantly about anything and everything and later I can't even remember what was said. Good grief! What is my problem?

I do remember a few key things that were relayed to me regarding my boys and I have to share them because they made me laugh and nearly made me cry...

My youngest son is a social butterfly. His teacher told me he's well-liked, but talks too much. In other words, he's being a "Chatty Matty" (His name is Matthew) and he's disruptive at times. He's sweet as can be, she says, and always wants to please and is incredibly helpful whenever she asks him to do something, but he simply can't quit running his mouth. I have to laugh because he's JUST LIKE ME! I got in trouble for talking in class in 2nd grade too! I even had to stand in the corner because Mrs. Pearson didn't tolerate talkers. I think Matthew's teacher is a little less strict than Mrs. Pearson, thank God.

I also was told Matthew has BEAUTIFUL handwriting. He does have remarkable penmanship and I told the teacher, "Cattle prods work wonders!" Of course I was kidding! I have always stressed good penmanship though. I think teachers appreciate the effort, and even if you don't get something right, at least it was legible.

On to the next parent/teacher conference....

David's teacher told me he doesn't always pay attention, therefore he doesn't always get the full scoop on homework assignments. I didn't have to be given that tidbit of information because it's evident on the nights when I get the blank stare and the response "I don't know" when questioned about homework. Give me strength! I did hear some AWESOME news in that David currently has an "A" in advanced math. We may have to celebrate! That class has totally stressed us all out, but it's great to know our efforts (Yes, "OUR" efforts!) are paying off.

Lastly, David's teacher told me he's very kind to other students, particularly those who are in need of a friend and perhaps serve as targets for ridicule. She relayed a story to me about how he'd made another student feel better after receiving a poor grade on a test. He was very positive and told the kid it was okay, that it just meant she could do better next time. Now that almost made me cry. I don't care if my child is or isn't the smartest kid in the class, but I do care that he treats others with kindness. A mother longs to hear these kinds of things about her children.

The boys had to come with me to the conferences because I didn't have another option yesterday, but they sat outside the classrooms and played their Game Boys (LOVE those things at times like these!) quietly. After the conferences were over, we were walking down the hallway and Matthew pipes up and asks, "Did she say I talk too much?" I ask him why he wants to know and he says, "Because I do talk too much." When a kid confesses his sins and shortcomings upfront, it's difficult to be too tough on them. Do you suppose they know that?

No comments: