Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Precious Moments...

The last couple of days have been full of simply precious moments for my husband and me. Yesterday was Veteran's Day and our boys joined their Cub Scout Pack for a flag-raising ceremony at the beginning of the school day. I love it when the kids participate in patriotic events because they are so intent on doing a good job, taking it all very seriously.

The boys wanted Daddy to wear his military uniform because it was Veteran's Day, so he obliged. They're very proud of the fact that their dad is a military man. So am I!

Later in the day, we were fortunate enough to be able to attend the school Thanksgiving dinner and joined both of our boys during their classroom lunch periods. Each classroom met parents in the lobby and sang a patriotic song before going in to the cafeteria. I fought back tears listening to those sweet singing voices. There's just something incredibly moving about hearing children sing.

Thanksgiving dinner was actually pretty tasty (turkey & gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing and green beans) and brought back memories of past Thanksgiving dinners at school. We were getting ready to eat with our 2nd grader when he surprised us by asking if we would say the blessing with him. Usually he's shy about praying in public, and if we do pray, he wants us all to say our old stand-by "God is great, God is good" prayer together. Yesterday he held our hands and prayed his own special prayer. My husband and I were both fighting back tears.

Last night my husband and youngest son made a bird feeder together in the basement. It was a Cub Scout activity they needed to do for an achievement. The little man was so ecstatic about doing something special with his dad. He got to use some of Daddy's tools and he was so proud of himself afterward. He immediately ran upstairs to show his brother and me what he'd made. He told my husband, "Daddy, that was fun! When can we make another project?"

Today I was invited to read a story to my youngest son's class (I volunteered last week in my oldest son's classroom). This morning we picked out a book together and then I showed up this afternoon to read. He was so happy I could be there and I just felt this overwhelming feeling of thankfulness for the opportunity. So many parents don't have these opportunities, so I realize how fortunate I am to be able to volunteer.

These moments with our children are fleeting. I feel the days just flying past us and I want to freeze time and savor every day. Before we know it, our kids will be in middle school and won't want Mom and Dad to come to their school. It won't be cool then and we'll probably be an embarrassment. I'm enjoying these precious moments while I can. Investing in my children is the greatest gift I've ever given myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep on making those Precious memories...they will last a lifetime.