Thursday, November 15, 2007

What to do?

Today I was shopping in a local Hallmark store, looking for special cards since I don't have a lot of extra time to stamp my own right now, but that's a different issue...

While I was perusing a card aisle, a woman approached me asking for money. She had just asked a man shopping nearby and he waved her off. This woman appeared to be someone who didn't speak English as the only word I understood her to say was "Please." She thrust a hand-written note at me that explained she was poor and couldn't afford to feed her children, and in the name of God would I please give her some money.

I was totally caught off-guard by the whole incident. My heart goes out to anyone who doesn't have the ability to feed themselves or their children, and it's in my nature to want to trust that what someone is telling me is the truth. I reached into my purse and pulled out some money to give the woman. She thanked me and went on her way.

After she walked away I found myself standing there wondering if I'd been "had" by some scam artist looking to get a hand-out. I watched the woman to see where she would go and I noticed that she went into the adjoining room, which is a separate store. I approached the salesperson in Hallmark and asked her if she knew the woman and she said she didn't, but another customer had reported that the woman was begging. I can't imagine that this woman could stick around in the store very long because I'm sure it can't be good for business.

I made my purchase and walked outside and saw this same woman talking to another woman, then they parted ways, walking in different directions. The woman to which I'd given money then started approaching people in the parking lot, I'm assuming asking for more money.

I still don't know if this was a legitimate plea for help or a total scam, and of course I'll never really know. I now find myself wondering if I should have handled the situation differently. Should I have given her money at all? Should I have given her more? Should I have asked to pray with her on the spot? I don't know. I wish I had been better prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had this same thing happen to me a few months ago in a parking lot. I know exactly what you mean. I was so unprepared. I need a plan for the next time...