Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Budding Artist

The end of school always brings about the hauling home of used school supplies and mounds of papers the kids have turned in during the course of the school year. We're still going through some of this stuff, trying to decide what's salvageable for the upcoming school year and what simply needs to be trashed.

My youngest son was in 2nd grade this year and he brought home a nice surprise. He had drawn and colored an art project that somehow made it to our district representative in the VA House of Delegates, where it had been displayed on the wall outside this man's office. I had no idea our students' artwork was being displayed there, and I don't think my son knew about it either.

Anyway... the district rep sent a letter along with a picture of him standing next to my son's artwork. Both of those items, as well as the original artwork, were sent home with my son. The letter basically thanked the little man for "allowing" his artwork to be displayed in the General Assembly Building, and how it really brightened things up and impressed everyone who saw it. Of course this all made the little man very proud, which of course made me very proud.

I'll share with you M's artwork. He explained that it's a picture of him and one of his best friends at school, standing in front of an apple tree with quite an interesting trunk.
I love how he included his glasses and his missing tooth... What detail!
And see the birds and bird eggs in the nest in the tree? I guess one bird has a worm it's going to share with his winged pal.
Yep, I think I might just have a budding artist on my hands.

1 comment:

kristi said...

Wow! He is quite the little artist!