Saturday, June 14, 2008

We had the BEST teacher ever!

Yesterday was the last day of school for my boys, as I mentioned in the previous post. When they got home in the afternoon, my oldest bounded through the door, happily and loudly declaring he's now a 6th grader. My youngest seemed quiet and subdued, unhappy even, so I asked him what was wrong. His head was downcast and I couldn't hear him as he mumbled his reply, so I asked him to repeat what he'd said.

My little man looked up at me, tears spilling down his cheeks, and with a quivering voice he said, "I'm going to miss Mrs. G (his teacher)."

You have to understand something here. While my little man is definitely the more sensitive of my boys, he's NEVER cried over a teacher. It was such a precious moment! He was genuinely sad to know he would no longer have this woman as his teacher, and of course, the fact that we're moving and won't be at the same school next year, only intensifies his feelings. He won't even be seeing her in passing.

I pulled my little man close, and we sat hugging one another on the stairway as we both cried. Lord knows it doesn't take much for me to cry, so you can imagine the kind of reaction I had to my son's tears.

I told him he was very blessed to have had Mrs. G as his teacher. Surely she has to be a special person to have had this kind of impact on him. Most kids are just happy beyond measure to be out of school and on summer break, and some are even celebrating leaving their teachers.

We sat and held each other for a long time. He finally looked up at me and said, "I feel better now."

I immediately jumped online and emailed Mrs. G, sending a blind copy of my email to our principal and vice-principal because I wanted each of them to know what an impact Mrs. G had had on my son. She needs to know how much she's loved and appreciated and that we're grateful to her for the positive, caring learning experience our son has had this year. Every child should have a teacher like Mrs. G!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a very positive thing you did, by sending Mrs. G and her principal and vice principal an email and letting them know what a positive impact she was on your little man.

Sorry to say the good teachers don't get enough recognition.

So thank you for doing that, from a mother of a 3rd grade teacher.