Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Git -r- Done!

Okay, so I know this phrase has sort of lived its life and has begun to fade (Don't tell Larry the Cable Guy), but it rather fits our current situation around here, and I'm just redneck enough to still enjoy a good ol' "Git -r- Done!" every now and again.

I googled "Git -r- Done!" and found several definitions (some of which I can't repeat here) on Urban Dictionary. This one best suits my personal use of the phrase...

"'Git-er-done' is a statement of boisterous completion or encouraging another person to get something done, completed or finished."

We're moving soon, if my husband EVER gets his orders from the military. I'm not frustrated or stressed or worried or anything remotely like that. Just because I've never lived abroad and know NOTHING about an overseas move is no big deal. And of course I don't know the language of the country to which we are about to move, but I'm not concerned. Nearly every time we've moved to a new duty station we've known someone else stationed there, but not this time. We'll know NO ONE. I'm okay with that though, because I have NO CONTROL over this situation. My stressing out and worrying over things I can't change won't help one bit. Chocolate and alcohol might help temporarily, but stressing and worrying won't.

So I've decided to concern myself with only things I can control. My husband and I are organizing our house, little by little, to prepare for this move. That makes me feel as if I'm doing something productive and it keeps me from dwelling on things that can potentially make me crazy. We have the floor plan of the house in which we'll be residing at our new location, so that's helpful in determining the amount of space we'll have. We can start dividing our household goods into different categories... long-term storage, goods to be shipped ahead of time, goods to be shipped later and personal items to pack for the trip. The stuff that doesn't fall into any of these categories is either being donated, sold or trashed. I'm rather enjoying this purging of stuff and have considered it to be a definite upside to moving frequently. "Clean House" would love us right about now and the whole purging process is feeding the obsessive-compulsive side of me.

So, yes, I've been in git -r- done mode lately. I have bags on my front porch today, ready to be picked up by a charity traveling through our area. See?
So I'm taking charge over that which I have control. How about you? What do you need to take charge over today? You know what I'm gonna say... GIT -R- DONE!

No comments: