Monday, June 9, 2008

Returned Mail

In my mailbox last week was a Christmas card, one that we'd sent to friends, who had, unbeknownst to us, moved and were no longer receiving mail at their former address. Now, I knew these folks had moved because the last Christmas card I sent just 7 months or so ago was also returned, and our friends' new address was actually on a sticker on the envelope, so I was able to re-send the card to them at their new address.

Are you thoroughly confused? Two returned Christmas cards addressed to the same people? Had I sent two cards without realizing it? Why would I get one back at this late date? I, too, was confused for about 10 seconds. I stared at the envelope in my hands, scratching my head and thinking, "What's up with that?" and furthermore thinking I had lost my mind, which is a likely scenario.

Then I looked at the postmark. The card was mailed during December 2006! Yep, we're just now getting returned mail from 18 months ago. See, I can now tell our friends, "Your card got LOST in the mail - REALLY!"

No comments: