Monday, June 16, 2008

So this is what it's come to?

My oldest son is going to be 12 in September and I can't believe how quickly the years have passed. I guess all parents feel that way when thinking about their children and how they seem to grow up entirely too soon.

A few nights ago I was "tucking" in the big guy and went to kiss him on the cheek, but I happened to graze his lips in the process because of the way he and I both turned our heads. He looked at me, eyes somewhat rolling, as if to say, "Ah, Mom!" You know the look! I laughed and asked if my kissing him on the lips bothered him, and he informed me it did, in fact, bother him. I told him I would refrain from doing that again, but I still reserved the right to kiss him on the cheek or forehead. I am, after all, still his mother, aren't I? Heaven forbid I should show my kid a little motherly affection every now and again!

Last Monday I was at the boys' school for my little man's end-of-the-year party and he asked me to have lunch with him, so I stuck around after the party ended (It was a morning event). I had about 30 minutes to kill, so I decided to find my big guy in the cafeteria and perhaps hang out with him during his lunchtime. When I found him, I asked if he'd like to sit with me during lunch or would he rather me just wait for his brother. At first he looked like I had potentially ruined his day by even speaking to him in the cafeteria, and then he looked EVER so relieved to know that I was giving him an option of whether to hang out with me or not. I suppose you can guess what happened next....

My big guy totally blew me off! He said, "Oh, that's okay, you can just have lunch with M."

So this is what it's come to? It's now uncool to be seen with one's mother in school. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but I was really hoping for later... MUCH later. I guess I should be happy the little man still wants me hangin' around. Sooner or later he'll dump me too, so I should make the most of it while I still can.

No comments: