Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm blind and out of commission!

Yesterday I spent some good quality time in the base clinic for a couple of reasons. I just want to share with you my experience.

I drove to the clinic for an eye exam scheduled for 9:15am. My eyes were checked and it was determined, as I'd expected, that I'm gettin' old and my vision ain't what it used to be. I have two options for now... getting a stronger prescription for my glasses, the ones I'm supposed to wear when I'm reading or doing anything that requires close-up work (i.e. blogging, needlework, etc.) OR I can just bite the bullet now and get bifocals. WHAT?! Bifocals? Are you kidding me? I'm only 43 years old. I can't possibly need bifocals at this stage of the game... can I?


My eyes were dilated (Note: The word is "dilated," NOT "dialated," which is one of my pet peeves, but I'll save that for a different post sometime in the future.), which I didn't know was going to happen. I was alone, therefore I had to drive myself home with limited vision. I had stopped at our mailbox to pick up mail (The absolute highlight of any day!) and couldn't see the numbers on the mailboxes. Thankfully I knew the location of the mailbox, and got lucky when the key actually fit into the first box I tried. I usually go through the mail while on the spot in the event that we accidently receive mail that belongs to someone else. It happens rather frequently as there's another Air Force family here with the same last name. Of course I couldn't see the writing on any of the mail, so took it all home with me, only to later discover that there was, indeed, a card for the other family among our mail.

I hope I didn't run anyone off the road on the way home. Lord knows my vision was significantly diminished as a result of the dilation. I would venture to say people are considered legally blind after having their eyes dilated. I walked inside the house and realized I was unable to read or blog or Facebook, so I plopped into bed and watched TV (sort of) and took a nap.

I woke up, ate some lunch and could see a little better by then. I had my second round at the clinic at 1:30ish. I managed to hurt my back a week ago doing something I do every single day... stooping to retrieve the mouthwash out of the lower cabinet in the bathroom. I felt this "pop" in my lower back and knew instantly that I was in for a day of pretty intense back pain. A week later, I'm mobile, but certainly not agile, and I'm still hurting. I've been nursing my back with 800mg Motrin and alternately using a heat pad and ice pack, but I wasn't feeling much better as of yesterday, so at my traveling husband's suggestion, I made an appointment to get myself checked out.

Long story short, the doc thinks I have a back strain. I've been doing all the things he told me I should do, but in addition, he says I should have my lower back gently massaged, don't do any heavy lifting and I need to continue taking Motrin as well as a muscle relaxer. That's great, except there's no one here to massage my lower back as my husband is currently MIA due to his most recent TDY, and the boys... well, let's just say I don't want to feel worse than I do now. No heavy lifting? Okay, my older son can at least push the clothes hampers into the laundry room, so I guess we can manage there. Motrin? Got it covered as I recently got a refill for the 800mg version for my monthly cramps, which happen to be coinciding with this back injury. I realize that's TMI, but I'm just paintin' the picture for ya, keepin' it real. Taking a muscle relaxer? I'll get to that in a sec.

I went to get my prescription for the muscle relaxer and while I was waiting in the lobby, the doc who performed my well woman exam a couple of weeks ago walked right past me. I had never seen this man before my well woman exam, which was great for me because, well... this place is like Mayberry. Everybody knows everybody and I don't want to have to see the face of my gyno everywhere I go, you get my drift? So who's the first familiar face I see in the clinic yesterday? My gyno, of course! I acted like I didn't see him. I'm sure he's accustomed to being shunned by women all over base, don't you think? But if that bothers him, perhaps he should try this approach with his patients...
I took the muscle relaxer last night with dinner, as advised, and for a while I didn't think it was going to affect me at all. I took my youngest son to Scouts, came home and took care of a few chores, tucked the boys into bed, and then crawled into my own with the remote to the TV, a book and my heat pad. In one fell swoop, I was down for the count. My husband called to chat and I have no recollection as to what we talked about. NONE! Note to self: I might not want to take a muscle relaxer if I have to remain alert and functioning.

2 comments:

Bethie said...

Ok....so bifocals at 43 isn't so bad. My husband turned 41 in January -- he got his 1st set of glasses just after Christmas: bifocals! He went from NOTHING to bifocals....go figure!

It's always the little stupid things that throw your back out. The last time my back went out, I was bending over while getting dressed. I felt the pinch & then INTENSE pain. I layed down for awhile, thinking it would pass -- it didn't -- and then stubbornly drove my standard shift car 8 miles to work. By the time I got to my desk, I was in TREMENDOUS pain & the tears were streaming down my face. Surgery was my only option then.... Let's hope you go through that pain!

Marva said...

Bethie,

My back is actually much better, thank God. I think it's just a strain, and I've been doing all the right things so as not to aggravate the injury further. I do believe I'm on the mend. No surgery for me!