Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pinewood Derby 2009

Yesterday our local Cub Scout pack held its annual Pinewood Derby. Unfamiliar with this exciting Scout event? Allow me to share with you a little of yesterday's action-packed, fun-filled race.


First of all, this is the track on which the cars were raced. Yeah, the race is designed for small wooden cars, about 6 inches or so in length. I didn't know that either until a few years ago when our oldest son participated in his first Pinewood Derby. I had been under the impression it was an outdoor event where kids actually rode in cars they'd designed and made. Shows you how much I knew!

The idea is for the kids to design and make their own cars from a kit containing a block of wood and hardware provided for the wheels, with the help of their parents and/or perhaps another adult. The adults are only supposed to HELP, not actually take over and do the whole project. Parents and siblings are invited to enter their OWN cars in a separate race.


Here's our youngest son, excited to be participating and very anxious for the race to begin.


Looks like things are about to begin as the color guard marches in with the flags. I LOVE this part!


Lots of folks came out for yesterday's race.


My son (in the middle) reacts to the results of this particular heat among members of his den. I'd say it's a safe assumption he won that time.


My husband (seated behind the laptop) and other Scout dads help run the race. It's a fine-tuned process, running these races, and I know you believe every single word of that, right?


Here's my handsome, smiling hubby again. He saw me approaching with my camera, which is why I thought he was smiling. Turns out, someone was standing behind me, giving me my very own set of "bunny ears." I get no respect!


Little man anxiously awaits the next heat.


My son's car is the white one on the right... the one that he designed to resemble a Wii remote. The car on the left belongs to his friend, and we thought that one was cool too.


Little man and his friend wait together to see which of them will win this heat.


We won again this time.


The whole time the Pinewood Derby is going on, my oldest son is doing this... I guess he was trying to entertain the masses with his recorder playing skills. Who even thinks of bringing a recorder to the Pinewood Derby? I found this very interesting, to say the least.


I kept watching this sweet baby girl as she literally hung out with her dad all afternoon. He was chatting with another dad, and all the while his daughter was trying her best to grab the cup he was holding. He was giving her pieces of ice, but apparently, he wasn't doing it fast enough to suit her.


This little boy somehow managed to snag a piece of candy (Can you guess what kind?), open the wrapper, eat part of it and wear the other part in no time flat. I'm a sucker for a kid with a dirty face. They're simply too dadgum cute! And this face is clean compared to what it looked like just moments before.


This little boy entertained himself with plastic cups. Hey, whatever works for ya, dude! He wasn't alone either, as another kid got in on the act. It must have looked like fun.

I spent as much time watching people as I did watching the race. I know, I'm easily entertained.


Little man ended up coming in 3rd place for speed in his den, but this certificate was given to him for Best Original Design for his Wii remote car. He was thrilled!


See? I told you he was thrilled!


These Wolf Scouts are watching intently to see who wins the next race.


My son's Bear den poses for a group photo after all the awards have been given out.


Little man poses one more time with his car, blue ribbon and patch. What a great way to spend the day! Life is good!

No comments: