Monday, February 2, 2009

Sleeping Children

Aren't children precious when they're asleep? I used to take lots of photos of my boys when they were sleeping. They'd look so peaceful and angelic, as if nothing bad could ever possibly touch them. When my boys were very little, they could sleep anytime and anywhere...

The little man and I are napping here. Not sure why we were out at the same time, but it looks like we were enjoying some serious snooze time, huh? There's nothing quite as comfortable as cuddling up with your child and taking a siesta together. And now that the boys are getting older, this doesn't happen very often anymore. In fact, it NEVER happens with our firstborn anymore.


Our youngest could fall asleep in a nano-second while riding in a moving vehicle. It was like he'd been drugged.


I believe this photo was taken in a hotel room during the middle of a PCS. We were driving from California to Delaware and these guys were wiped out.


Of course sometimes sleep is drug-induced, which was the case here. Little man had undergone minor surgery and was coming out of his stupor in the recovery room in this photo.


This photo appears to be taken in another hotel room because a) I totally don't recognize the headboard of the bed or the linens, and b) the boys are sleeping together. Not sure when or where this was taken.


Here's yet another sleeping child in a vehicle shot. I used to hate having to carry the boys inside from their car seats. The "dead weight" of a sleeping child is a lower back killer!


These guys must have been watching a movie and fell asleep on the couch. Notice the cushions sliding off the couch.


"M" evidently enjoyed a few too many pieces of his Halloween candy and came crashing down from the sugar high he'd been on.


I loved this face and the fact that "M" was so out of it, lying in the middle of the living room floor, still wearing the stained Jango Fett Halloween costume and snoozing like there was no tomorrow.


Little man had obviously been outside. Guess he was too tuckered out to take off his coat and hat.


Yep, you guessed it... another boy catching flies in a vehicle. "M" often had the "cock-eyed glasses" look.


See what I mean about the "cock-eyed glasses?" And look at his poor neck! I'd be in traction for days if I slept in that position for very long.


We were at a friend's party and all the kids dozed off at around the same time. Little man is on the far right doing his fair share of snoring.


I wonder what the sleeping kid to the left of "M" would have thought or said if he'd known little man's behind was right next to his head.


Big brother finally conked out too. He'd been thinking he was pretty cool and grown up since all of the other kids fell asleep and he was still awake. Of course he had a good three years on the rest of the younger crowd. He eventually succumbed to slumber, just like everybody else.


We'd been to a late ballgame and little man couldn't handle it any longer and fell asleep on the ride home.


Another hotel room... another sleeping child photo. How the pillowcase ended up practically over his head, I'll never know. I promise you I was not involved.


"M" was asleep on someone's couch. Looks like he'd gotten some sun on his face earlier in the day. Oh, and he's wearing the same shirt as he was wearing in the previous photo! Both boys wore that shirt, so we got our money's worth out of it.


Little man is looking more and more grown up all the time, but he's still my precious baby when he's asleep. Just don't tell him I said so.


Here's a rare sleeping photo of the big man. I have lots of photos of him sleeping when he was much younger, but those were taken prior to our digital camera days.


Little man is down for a long winter's nap in Kentucky when we went to visit family at Christmastime.


I could be wrong, but I believe this is the last photo I've taken of a sleeping child. Little man was down for the count on the couch, chapped lips and all, in 2008.

I obviously have a mild obsession with snapping photos of my sleeping children, but I think it's a perfectly acceptable obsession for a parent, don't you?

2 comments:

kristi said...

Love all of the photos...too cute!

Molly said...

That is hilarious!! Wow, they could sleep anywhere. I'm sure you love that. BTW my boys and I are dancing to the great bluegrass music on your blog. We LOVE us some bluegrass and all start dancing when we hear any. Okay, maybe we all start dancing to any music but especially bluegrass.