Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spanish Ceramic Tile

I've decided I really like the Spanish ceramic tile we've seen since arriving here nearly six months ago. I love the rich colors and beautiful designs! Spanish tile can be found in many places too, from local homes to the boardwalk along the beach, from shop windows to restaurants... you name it!


Our family name plate is made of individual ceramic tile letters mounted in a frame, a very common sight here in base housing. Our friends the Gaabs gave us our name plate and we then purchased one for an incoming family. It's become sort of a "pay it forward" kind of gift among the folks in our Air Force group. The joke is that you cross your fingers the next family doesn't have incredibly long name.


We received this beautiful set of ceramic bowls as a welcome gift from our friends the Cannons. We're really enjoying these, and of course they'll always serve as a wonderful reminder of our time here as well as the friends who gave them to us.


This is a close-up of the large bowl.


And here's a close-up of the smaller bowl. Aren't they pretty? What a wonderful housewarming/welcome gift, don't you think?


We purchased this ceramic welcome tile to hang outside on the patio, near our front door. Basic translation = Welcome to this house


These lovely window boxes come in many different designs and colors. I just happen to like the blue and white best and bought several for the windows facing the front of the house.


I loved these wall pots, so I bought three different designs.


Here's another wall pot.


All of our wall pots have potting soil in them, but I've yet to plant anything. Sigh... I love plants of all kinds, but I just don't know enough about which ones are best for planting in certain locations.


This is one of many intricate ceramic tile paintings seen around the base.


Are you getting dizzy? This is part of a ceramic tile wall in El Puerto de Santa Maria.


Here's a close-up of the wall in the previous photo. I love the colors!


The ceramic pot in this photo is used to store salt in a local restaurant.


This beautiful tile seating area is located along the boardwalk in Rota.


Here's my latest acquired piece of Spanish pottery, a Christmas gift from my husband. This piece hangs on a wall in our dining room.

Now... I just hope all the tile/pottery pieces we've purchased make it to our next duty station intact rather than lots of little tiny pieces.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hi Marva---
I'm a pottery fiend...I LOVE the stuff. This spanish pottery is just gorgeous. How do you feel about MPSing to people you don't know? LOL Trade you some olive wood from the Holy Land??

Beautiful photos :)the name tiles are so nice...I regret not buying any in Tunisia.
Take care--
Leslie

Marva said...

Leslie,

You might just have yourself a deal. I don't know if I'll ever make it to the Holy Land or not. :)