Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Humbled

Something really special occurred a couple of nights ago and I wanted to share it because it made such an impression on me. It had to do with a phone call we received from a friend, but before I tell you about the phone call, I have to back up and give you a little recent history.

My husband and I hosted a Sunday school gathering in our home a couple of Saturdays ago. We were providing chili and soup and the rest was potluck. We love chili and soup because it's just good ol' comfort food, my favorite kind!

I decided I wanted to give our friends a jar of soup mix to take home, a party favor of sorts. You've seen those decorative jars with layered ingredients inside, right? That's what I did... layered the ingredients and decorated the jars with a valentine theme. I attached the recipe and added a different Bible scripture to each jar. Each scripture contained the word "love."

A few friends weren't able to make the social, but I'd put together enough jars of soup mix for everyone, so we took them to class the next day and gave them to those who'd missed out.

As it turns out, one of our classmates lost his mother last week. He called us to say that he'd had a difficult time eating, either not having an appetite or simply not being able to keep food down. He'd been unloading some items from his vehicle and came across the jar of soup mix we'd given him. He decided to make the soup for himself. He was able to eat it and keep it down, something he hadn't been able to do for a week.

Evidently the soup helped calm our friend's stomach and made him feel better. He told us he felt there was something other than sustenance in that soup mix. He said he knew it had come from Christian friends and he thought it was somehow a spiritual gift in his time of need. Wow! Praise God for putting His healing, comforting hands on this man! How humbled I felt hearing how that soup mix had meant so much to a friend. One never knows the impact of a simple gesture of friendship. Makes me want to put together a whole bunch more jars and hand them out to everyone I see!

No comments: