Thursday, February 7, 2008

Nostalgic 70's TV

I've managed to be at home a good portion of the day for the last couple of days and I've had the opportunity to surf TV channels. We get a station that airs reruns of "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie," both of which I watched faithfully as a child. My grandparents watched these shows as well, thus when I happen to catch one of these rerun episodes, I start feeling nostalgic, remembering my grandparents, both of whom have long passed on.

Those were the days when TV was relatively clean and frequently wholesome, unlike today where we're bombarded with foul language and completely inappropriate viewing choices for children (and adults too in my opinion). It seems anything goes nowadays, which is really a shame.

I love those old shows! Sure, they were pretty sappy sometimes, but they portrayed strong family values and morals and a good life lesson at the heart of every episode.

I watched part of "Little House on the Prairie" yesterday. Do you remember the episode where Mary Ingalls lost her vision? I'd seen it years ago, so I knew the storyline. Nothing was a surprise to me, except the tears I found myself shedding over poor Mary's blindness. Pass the tissues, please! If you're ever in need of a good cry, just watch an episode of "Little House on the Prairie." Michael Landon's big ol' puppy dog eyes will make you break down every single time. Ahhhh... nostalgic 70's TV...

No comments: