Monday, October 6, 2008

Familiar Sites

It's funny how familiar sights really jump out at us here in Spain. We get all excited when we see something that reminds us of home. I guess it feeds our need to feel more comfortable in unfamiliar surroundings. How's that for being analytical? I should have been a therapist! Okay, I digress... I just know we're very quick to point out things we readily recognize. I'll share with you a few of these familiar sights... Have it your way at Burger King!
Legos! Thank God there are Legos here!
Coca-Cola! Only they don't sell Diet Coke; they sell "Coke Light." I couldn't resist taking a picture of the Lipton iced tea logo on this napkin holder. Y'all know how I feel about my iced tea, and Lipton is the brand I buy.
Yeah, okay, I realize Heineken is not an American brewed beer, but it's popular in America and you see it everywhere. It's FAMILIAR!
My family definitely recognizes this sign. All things good and wonderful are found at Game Stop.
Okay, this doesn't say "Victoria's Secret," but it sure reminded me of it.
Pizza Hut!
And of course it was great to see the Air Force and American flags. As you know, we aren't permitted to fly the American flag on base, so it's really nice to see it on occasion.

There are other familiar sights as well... McDonald's and Fanta (sodas) to name a couple. On base one can find Starbuck's, KFC, Taco Bell and Subway and they're pretty close to "back home." I found Yankee Candles in the mini-mart, which totally made me happy when trying to make our house feel homey upon arriving without our household goods.

Familiarity = Comfort

No comments: