Friday, October 17, 2008

Housing maintenance people, why do you test me so?

It must be my lot in life to wait. It seems like I'm in a constant state of waiting, whether it be for my kids to finish soccer practice, my husband to come home for dinner or from a TDY, or in today's case... the housing maintenance people to show up.

I realize these maintenance folks are very busy and that they're probably on the receiving end of housing residents' anger and sarcasm more often than they deserve, and I'm truly sorry for that, however, sometimes it's just so dadgum frustrating waiting for them. It never seems to fail that they want to schedule an appointment when it's completely inconvenient for me, particularly when I haven't been given a choice of time slots.

Yesterday I discovered a hanging "thingie" (Note the very technical term) on my door knob saying someone had been here to fix my leaky toilet and I wasn't at home. Hmmm... Do you think perhaps that was because no one called to say they were coming? If they'd have let me know, I'd have knocked myself out to be around, but instead I found the little note basically saying, "WE were here. Where were YOU?"

I try my best to be available when workers say they're going to be here. I can appreciate their busy schedules and I'm such an accommodating client... I REALLY AM! I will totally rearrange my day to make things work out, only to be disappointed when no one shows... like today.

These folks left a note on my door last week saying they'd be here today between 10:30am and 11:30am for a routine check on the electric panel box, however, I waited until 11:50 and no one ever came. Parent were invited to eat lunch their kids at the elementary school today, and that was important to me, so I had to leave the house. I left a note on my door in the event someone actually came by, but there was no sign of anyone having been here upon my return. So now what? Am I supposed to call the maintenance office to reschedule? Will they call me? Sigh... Housing maintenance people, why, oh why do you test me so?

No comments: