Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mickey D's = Comfort Food

Yesterday we made a trip to the mall to browse the aisles of Toys R Us and Carrefour in Puerto. The boys have a few birthday bucks burning holes in their pockets, and their mentality is "I must spend every dime I have." They're also compiling Christmas wish lists at the request of grandparents, so our little field trip was two-fold.

The boys didn't find anything they couldn't live without during our shopping excursion to the mall, however we did scoot inside McDonald's for some good ol' familiar grease. Mmmm...

All four of us ordered the same thing, mainly because we're ordering in Spanish and it's simply easier for everyone to get the same meal. My husband did the ordering. He walked up to the counter and told the young man working the counter that he didn't speak Spanish (You know, to give the guy a heads up that he's really going to have to pay attention to our pitiful attempt at speaking his language), and then he proceeds to order. When my husband finally finishes ordering, the guy looks at him and asks, "You want drinks?" in ENGLISH! We looked at one another and cracked up. I asked the guy how we were doing, ordering in Spanish, and he said we did a good job.

What I want to know is how the McDonald's dude knew we spoke English. Are we that transparent? Do we have signs on our heads that say "I'm American" or what? Frankly, I think that's profiling, don't you?

Anyway... I digress. Here's what we had for lunch... Cuatro cuarto libre con queso y patatas fritas (Translation: Four quarter pound cheeseburgers and French fries)

Oh my goodness! I think I can already feel my arteries hardening, but that's okay. I'm already committed and anxious to dig in. Life without beef? I don't think so!
French fries? Spanish fries? Who cares?! They're DEEP FRIED POTATOES!

Meat and taters in any form is pretty doggone good in our opinions. Gracias, McDonald's! Te amo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you didn't mention....SWEET TEA?????? What did you do???? Waiting with bated breath!!

Now for the rest of the story.....

Ruth, your devoted blog reader

Marva said...

Ruthie, they don't make sweet tea here in Spain! It's a crime, I know, but they don't.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for your strength and courage to endure this hardship!!!

Ruthie