Thursday, January 10, 2008

Codes, Account Numbers, Passwords and User IDs

Have you noticed that everything you go to do in this world, be it dialing your voice mail to checking your bank account balance to inquiring about a catalog order requires some kind of code, account number, password or user ID, or a combination thereof? It makes me crazy! I can't be responsible for remembering all this stuff! I can't remember my kids' names somedays, much less a whole string of numbers and letters.

What's really frustrating is the fact that you pretty much can't do business anywhere without having those valuable codes, account numbers, passwords or user IDs. Today I was out and about running errands and decided to call our home voice mail to see if we had any messages. Sure enough, there happened to be a message from a catalog company with which I'd recently placed an online order. I'd ordered something for my step-dad's birthday and even though the company's website DOES NOT state that they cannot deliver to a post office (which is how I mail stuff to my mom and step-dad), they called to leave me a message to that effect.

I returned the phone call, using the number the customer service agent left on my voice mail. Naturally I got a different customer service agent and she asked for the order confirmation number, which I didn't have with me since I was away from home using my cell phone. She tried to look up my account by using my name and for whatever reason she couldn't find my name or my husband's name ANYWHERE in her database. She also checked under our telephone number and our address and still, she came up with nothing. So I had to hang up and call back when I got home and had that all-important order confirmation number in front of me.

Amazingly enough, the customer service agent I talked to this time was then able to locate my account using the order confirmation number. So I guess a person's name, address and phone number mean nothing when trying to locate an account. Have we reached the point where we're all just numbers or what?

No comments: