Monday, January 28, 2008

Looking forward to the weekend? Not so much!

My husband is going to be away at a conference this week, leaving tomorrow and returning on Saturday evening. It's not necessarily a bad week because the boys are out of school today for a teacher work day and they won't have Scouts this week, so that's less for me to worry about. I can handle that, however, as the weekend approaches, things start getting a little more chaotic and challenging...

Like I said, the boys are out of school today. We were able to sleep in, but soon we have to get with the program because we have things to accomplish. The boys need haircuts, we have errands to run (picking up stickers for their Pinewood Derby race cars, going to the grocery, returning a movie, etc.) and they have swim lessons this afternoon. Not an unmanageable schedule though.

Tuesday is good. Kids are back in school and I only have one appointment on my calendar. Nice way to start off the week, right?

Wednesday night is a little crazy in that both boys have to hurry home from the bus stop and get homework done before we go to kids' choir at church. The oldest has to leave choir early for basketball practice, which means, since my husband will be unavailable, that I will have to take both boys from choir, drop off the oldest at basketball and go back to pick him up at 8:45. Yes, you read that correctly... 8:45pm! I can hardly believe his team has to practice from 7:15 to 8:45pm. That just seems late for 11-year-olds, don't you think? And of course that also means we won't get home until 9pm and then we'll have to do the whole shower routine. Hopefully the big man will have all of his homework finished. If not, we could potentially be up for another hour or so. I don't like Wednesdays so much, especially this week.

Thursday we get a reprieve... just a regular school day with no Scouts that night. Woo-hoo! We need more days like this!

Friday night I have to take the boys to "Pit Night," which is basically a registration and practice night for the Scout's annual Pinewood Derby competition, which is held the next morning at 8am (Cruel on a Saturday morning, don't you think?). I like going to the derby and watching my kids compete and have a good time, but I really couldn't care less about being there the night prior. I've been asked to take pictures at both Pit Night and the actual Pinewood Derby, which is fine, but it just adds to the level of chaos and responsibility I feel in my husband's absence.

Saturday is going to be busy. Normally we could "divide and conquer" with the boys like we usually do when there are overlapping events, but alas, I'm going to be single-parenting for the day. The Pinewood Derby starts at 8am. Again... cruel on a Saturday morning! At least they'll have donuts and juice there, so breakfast will be someone else's problem, not mine. My youngest has basketball pictures at 10am. The Pinewood Derby will not likely be over until much later, so that means I'll have to leave the oldest there to take the youngest to his coach's house to drop him off. I'm going to have to rely on his coach to then take him on to practice at 11am, because I have to pick up the oldest from Pinewood Derby and take him to his basketball game at the very same time. The oldest then has birthday party he's invited to, but naturally it starts at about the time he'll be finishing up basketball, and the party isn't close by. I'm not sure we can make that event, which will of course disappoint the big guy because kids at his age don't have as many parties anymore, therefore the invitations are fewer and farther between. He won't be happy about missing out.

The boys are invited to spend the night at a friend's house on Saturday too, which means they have to come home, get showered and packed up, carefully choosing their clothes because they'll be meeting us at church the next day (Can you believe someone wants to have kids spend the night on a Saturday when they know they'll be bringing them to church the next day? Brave people!). Now the boys will need to be dropped off yet another place and I can breathe a sigh of relief when the day is done.

Oh yeah... my husband will probably arrive around 5pm, just after all the excitement, chaos and "busy-ness" is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W--E--L--L
WOW!!! listening to your schedule made me tired, but actually seeing it in print, and reading it all.....I'm going back to bed..I am exhausted!!!! No, wait...I have to be at work in a few, wonder if I called in and told them your schedule exhausted me, and that I needed a day of rest?

I am so glad that it is your schedule, I'm too old for that kind of schedule!!! :):):)

But you can do it, I am proud of you and I just know you will end the week and all will be done, and you will be ready for the next week. You Go Girl!!!!