Thursday, January 3, 2008

Favorite Holiday Memories

I was thinking that although I love the Christmas holiday season, it's not quite as exciting and magical to me now that I'm an adult. I started reminiscing about holidays past and began recalling the things that I loved the most when I was growing up. Here's my list of best-loved things in no particular order...

* Parties at school (Back when that was PC)

* Christmas plays at school and at church (Yes, our school had a Christmas play!)

* Seeing Santa at church after the play

* Watching Santa on TV (There was a local TV show where Santa read letters sent to him, etc. and I was mesmerized!)

* Drawing names for gifts at school and with my family

* Homemade candy

* 2 weeks vacation from school

* Putting up a live cedar tree and decorating it with large colored lightbulbs

* TV specials (Rudolph, Frosty, the Grinch)

* Shopping for gifts for my parents

* Mom reading us "Spencer's Mountain" every year

* Singing Christmas carols with my mom

* Helping Mom wrap gifts

* Going to the country club where my grandmother worked and my dad dressed up as Santa at the kids' Christmas party (We weren't members, but we were allowed to join the party.)

* Christmas Eve fireworks at my grandmother's house (I don't know who started that, but we loved it!)

* Christmas morning magic - Santa had come!

* Seeing what was in my stocking (I've ALWAYS loved that!)

* Christmas dinner at my other grandmother's with LOTS of relatives (The food, the fun, the presents and my grandfather playing "Rook" are all very vivid memories.)

* Everyone saying "Merry Christmas" without a thought of it being offensive

* Overeating and not having to worry about packing on the pounds (Those were the days!)

What are some of your most cherished childhood Christmas holiday memories?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what special Christmas times your boys will remember when they get older? I'm sure it will be list that is even greater than yours. :)